terça-feira, 12 de julho de 2011

O ADVOGADO DO DIABO

devils_advocate

screenplay by
Jonathan Lemkin and Tony Gilroy
based on the novel by
Andrew Neiderman


REVISED SHOOTING DRAFT

January 18, 1997


FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY




DEVIL'S ADVOCATE - Rev. 11/2/96


FADE IN:


1 INT. FLORIDA COURTROOM - DAY 1

Northern Florida in the midst of a heat wave. Air
conditioners fighting a losing battle. The gallery is
full. The JUDGE a stern, old hand. The PROSECUTOR, an
efficient man with a good case.

The witness is BARBARA. She is maybe 13. She is a
witness in a criminal trial. Her testimony has been
carefully rehearsed.

BARBARA
... we go back to our homeroom for
dismissal, unless you have a pass
for sports or something.

PROSECUTOR (O.S.)
And is that what you did on the
day in question?

BARBARA
No. Mr. Gettys asked me to stay
after class.

PROSECUTOR
What happened next, Barbara?

BARBARA
Mr. Gettys closed the door.

PROSECUTOR
Everyone else had gone?

BARBARA
Yes. He told me to sit in the
chair beside his desk.

MR. GETTYS, the defendant, is 50. The very picture of
respectability. His perfect wife and son staunchly
enduring this testimony.

(CONTINUED)

2.

1 CONTINUED: 1

PROSECUTOR
In your own words, Barbara, can
you tell us exactly what happened
during the next few minutes?

KEVIN LOMAX. Defense counsel. Taking it all in.

BARBARA (O.S.)
I told him I was afraid I would
miss my bus. He promised I would
get to the bus on time if I would
help him to do something...

Kevin -- his eyes -- drifting around the courtroom --
taking inventory -- assessing damage --

BARBARA (O.S.)
... Then he put -- before I could
say anything -- he placed his hand
inside my blouse...

Kevin -- checking the jury and --

BARBARA (O.S.)
... I was so frightened I didn't
move. I thought if I was just
quiet it would be okay...

Kevin -- checking Gettys -- seeing something that stops
him cold --

BARBARA (O.S.)
... Then his other hand went up
under -- inside my skirt...

Gettys' hand -- down below the table -- down where no one
but Kevin could possibly see it -- Getty's fingers subtly
feeling their way along the leg of his chair --

BARBARA (O.S.)
... his hand then, it started, he
started, moving back and forth --
farther and farther inside my
skirt...

Kevin -- glancing around -- nobody else can see it --

BARBARA (O.S.)
... he said he was testing to see
if I had any special feelings,
that he wanted to find out what
kind of feelings I had...

(CONTINUED)

3.

1 CONTINUED: (2) 1

Gettys' hand -- excited now -- stroking the chair leg --
absently -- involuntarily -- unmistakably sexual --

BARBARA (O.S.)
... I didn't know what to say, I
was trying to think of something
to say but I was confused and he
just kept on -- with his hand --
moving it -- under my dress --
higher and higher...

Kevin is rocked. Trying not to show it.

BARBARA (O.S.)
... then I, I was asking him to
stop but it was like he couldn't
hear me -- he just kept on --

Suddenly, Gettys' hand stops moving --

BARBARA (O.S.)
-- and then I screamed...

Kevin looks up to find Gettys' eyes waiting for him.
Gettys quickly returns his hand into his lap. He's been
caught -- watching, as Kevin turns away and --

BARBARA
... then he, he got mad and said
we would have to try again
sometime.

PROSECUTOR
And did he try again?

BARBARA
Not with me.

PROSECUTOR
With friends of yours?

BARBARA
Yes.

PROSECUTOR
And when you told them what he had
done to you, they told you what he
had done to them, isn't that true?

BARBARA
Yes.

PROSECUTOR
I have nothing further.

(CONTINUED)

4.

1 CONTINUED: (3) 1

JUDGE
(finding Kevin)
Your witness, Mr. Lomax.

KEVIN
Any chance, Your Honor, for a
short recess?

CUT TO:


2 INT. FLORIDA COURTHOUSE HALL - DAY 2

Kevin heading quickly away from the courtroom. Gettys
right on his heels.

KEVIN
Lloyd, as your attorney, I'm
advising you to get the fuck away
from me.

GETTYS
Why? What are you talking about?

KEVIN
The wife. The kid. The outrage.
You definitely had me fooled.

GETTYS
You're my lawyer! You're here to
defend me!

KEVIN
You know what I'm thinking? Why
don't we put you on the stand and
you can jerk off for the judge.

GETTYS
You know she's lying.

KEVIN
Get the hell out of my way.

Gettys standing aside, as we --

CUT TO:


3 INT. FLORIDA COURTHOUSE MEN'S ROOM - DAY 3

An ancient upstairs facility. Kevin standing at the
mirror. Frozen there. Identity crisis. Morality
crisis. He takes off his wedding ring. Letting cold
water run in the sink. His eyes never leaving the
mirror.
(CONTINUED)

5.








----------------



Post scriptum: Logo de cara, uma ótima sequência. Pena que o filme não consegue manter este equilíbrio durante sua metragem, alternando momentos brilhantes com outros enfadonhos.

Nenhum comentário: